6 words that planted the DIY culture in us



I remember being in a leading furniture store in Chennai two years ago looking for a center table for our newly moved in home. A simple yet elegant low table is what we had in mind.

I remember how much we liked a particular table that had just the right height and width, but was too lengthy for our living room.
I remember how the store manager refused to honor our request for custom making the table to the dimensions that we desired.

And I distinctly remember those 6 words from Preethi. “Why don’t we make one ourselves”.
We are turning two

It didn’t take us much time before we decided to take the challenge of making a table head on. Despite having no knowledge whatsoever and the necessary skills, the prospect of dirtying our hands to make that table seemed exciting. And so we built it, with the same dimensions the store manager refused to custom make it for us. (Now you know why our logo is a center table)

And then later on when we needed something or the other for the home, guess what we decided to do ? We decided to build them all ourselves.
Woodworking and DIY projects
A Collage of some of our works
The seed for the doing-it-ourselves and building-things-on-our-own culture was sown by those very same words that Preethi muttered. And eventually they led us to Woodooz. And today we complete 2 years of having started that fun filled, zealous and near obsessive passion of ours. While the need for things around the house helped us with our enthusiasm to create, there were other factors that kept us going with our interest and momentum.
Thanks to Raji and Madhu for custom ordering and buying our first work. They made us believe that if we make good stuff, people will be willing to pay for it.

Thanks to Patricia Torres, her Colours Dekor and the link parties. She continues providing us with a wonderful platform and the support to showcase our works.

Thanks to all the fellow bloggers and our readers who never failed to visit and leave us a comment or two. It made us realize that we are not alone.

Thanks to all those Facebook fans, all of whom we would love to know personally in due course.  Every like in the Woodooz page has been a big boost to our confidence. Incidentally we also reached the 200 landmark yesterday.
Join us on Facebook
Click the image to like us on Facebook
 Two years on and we still want to continue what we do here. Share and Learn. Do continue supporting us and  join us in this journey filled with abundance of passion and enthusiasm.

Leave us your best wishes and comments. Let us know what you think about Woodooz. Good, bad or otherwise – Your opinion matters.

~Preethi and Somu
Did you like this post ? Enter your E-mail address and join our growing E-mail list

Linking in : Colours Dekor


To stay updated about our latest projects and product launches,




10 comments:

  1. Ahh!! those words!! Why don't we do this ourselves!! I uttered them myself many times much to my wife's amusement. Fortunately Im living in a place where this phrase is common.

    From my caterer is sick and I have 250 wedding guests coming in 3 days!! Lets do it ourselves.

    Have to clear 3 acres of impenetrable bush & trees so it can be a useful shaded area cost $30K, cant afford it. Lets do it ourselves!! 15 volunteers lots of heavy machinery and 8 weekends its done in $1K.

    From plumbing to concrete work to building walls, tiling kitchens, installing gas lines, remodeling halls and including some repairing of my AC. I have only set my limit on my vehicles!! I dont venture there.

    I have been lucky in that I have friends in many trades so picking on their brains does help a lot. Also I have many people with whom I pair up to do something challenging

    Im amazed that you guys do all this without much assistance and space in a place where this is exceedingly hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your wife's amusement. 250 wedding guests ? 3 acres of land ? Now that would certain amuse anyone who might have heard you say, "Why don't we do it outselves".

      It does get very addictive as you mentioned when you just want to do everything yourself. I remember struggling with a plumbing issue for hours together before I had to call in a professional. He took 15 minutes and he was out of my home.

      Having friends and pairing up surely adds to the fun. I would certainly try to team up with interested folks to indulge in projects.

      Thanks a lot Kittu. Really appreciate your comment. It is comments like these that make every post worth writing :)

      Delete
  2. Awww preethi & somu. Congratulations to u both and to woodooz :)
    The joy of making stuff our way is priceless! Wishing you many many happy returns of this day. Keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shruti, thanks much. And I couldn't agree with you more on how priceless DIY can be. To know that you built something from scratch is sheer pleasure by itself.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    Congratulations Somu & Preethi. And I must thank you as well, for the effort to catalog & share this journey with all the details which has inspired so many of us .. definitely me :-)

    Best Wishes
    MS (woodenmint.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MS,
      The last time you had penned a comment here, you didn't have a blog. Am so glad that you managed to create one. I have been to Woodenmint today and was reading all your posts. Being at work limited my need to write a comment :)

      Loved your staining idea and I need to share my thoughts on what I think about owning tools. Hope to see you around showcasing your work. You are on my RSS and Email and am sure I will not miss a post from you.

      Good luck and thanks a lot :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats Somu and Preethi and wish you all the best in your plans ahead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vinay. Really nice to earn the wishes of fellow DIYers. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh.. how lovely.. Thank you.. Woodooz.. for the super sweet words.. Really!!

    And I liked how Preethi... make a statement that got you guys thinking.. Thanks for sharing this little story..

    LIke I always say... your blog is a huge inspiration for people like me... who are wannabe DIYers :)

    Anyway... good luck... for all the future and this blog holds..

    PS - i was serious about the lamp.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Patricia. We have always enjoyed visiting you and we genuinely mean the thank you :)

      And we are serious about the lamp too. Let me know when you are tentatively going to be in India. Also let me know if it is a floor lamp or a table lamp that you need. Will write you an email offline and we can discuss.

      :)

      Delete

Know more about us

About Us
Reviews
Media
Our showroom location
Return and refund policy
Review us on Google

Connect with us


Mail us
Subscribe to our newsletter

Our Address :
Woodooz Home Decors,
3/371, First floor,
Metukuppam, Thoraipakkam,
Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR),
Chennai - 600097.
Ph : +91 9884070470
Email : contact@woodooz.com
Created By SoraTemplates & MyBloggerThemes