Custom-made DIY Wall Clock



The template

I was super excited when a colleague wanted to custom order a clock to be given as a gift to someone special. Red and shaped like a diamond were the only specifications that were given. Ever since, I had been running the design in my mind. I wanted to build something simple, yet elegant and came out with the below template built using reaper sticks.
    Attention : If you came here looking for how to make a wall clock, I recommend that you watch my video post on Clock assembly, Materials to use and how to fix the clock mechanism
Wall clock template
The Clock Template

Clock assembly and the numbers

Once the template or the clock base is built, it becomes easier to assemble the rest of the clock. All my earlier clocks (DIY wooden wall clock 1 and DIY wall clock 2) had wooden buttons for numbers and so this time I wanted to consciously avoid them. After much deliberation, came out with a very simple idea of using something that is easily available around the house. Can you guess what we used for the numbers?

Clock template
The clock waiting to be assembled

Matchsticks were used as the numbers and I think it came out pretty well. What do you think? Do you feel that I should have used something else?

Numbers for the wall clock
Matchsticks for numbers

The finish for the clock

The clock face and the rear were stained. Since I could not find red stains in the nearby stores, I decided to use red enamel paint. Enamel paints give a glossy finish and so I applied the paint as I would apply stains. The result was much to our liking.

Wall clock base finish
The clock base stained

The clock face

What do you think ? How does the clock look ? Do share your feedback.

DIY custom-made wall clock
Custom-made DIY Wall clock

Did you like this post ? Enter your E-mail address and join our growing E-mail list


The clock rear

Installed a hook in the rear for the clock to be hung on the wall. The high point of this whole DIY was when I received a call from the intended recipient who liked it so much.

Wall clock to be hung on wall
Hook installed for hanging
Do tell us what you think. We would love to know your feedback.

If you liked this post, you may also like

Linking in : Colours Dekor
- Somu


To stay updated about our latest projects and product launches,




21 comments:

  1. lovely natural looking clock :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aparna, thanks a lot :) The idea was to make it look simple yet elegant. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  2. That looks wonderful. Where do you get the clock mechanism from? I mean do you buy a clock, dismantle it and make your own template? Or is the mechanism box available separately? What wood did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vijay,

      Thanks. It is too much of an effort to take the mechanism from another clock. These units are separately available. You can walk into any Wall clock store (Not the big fish branded ones though) and ask for it. The unit along with the second, min, hour dials and the battery are sold.

      I used
      1. 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch sticks for the frame
      2. OST (One side teak) for the rear
      3. 19mm wide and 6mm thick wooden sticks for the face (the red and brown ones). Not sure what their exact application is, but I believe they are like the plywood edge banding sticks, except a little wider.

      Btw, am working on a post on how to use laminates for small home DIY furniture projects triggered by your question. Hope you find it useful :)

      Delete
    2. Hi ,

      Can you please tell me from where you got the Clock unit , i mean the second , min , hour dials along with the battery.
      I need to get this consolidated unit. Please suggest a place in chennai.

      Delete
    3. Hi Viji,

      You can walk into any clock store (not the titan kinds), but the local stores that sell wall clocks and get these units.

      I specifically got this from a clock store diagonally opposite to Globus in Adayar. If you would know RS stores and Ananda stores in Adayar, this is a store somewhere between them. Another place you can get this is from a clock store which is 3-4 stores away from Mercy Electronics.

      The clock Mechanism along with the dials are available as a unit. Where in Chennai are you from ? You can try your local clock store. They will 100% have it. Most may not give you the dials because they assume you are replacing an old clock. Specify you are building a new one and you will get the dials. Just one thing... There is not so much variety in the dials.

      Also, I believe you can get them in bulk in Parrys Corner. Haven't tried it though. Let me know should you need more inputs. It would be my pleasure.

      Delete
    4. Hey,

      Thanks a lot . I will try to get it from those shops. Actually my husband Sankararaman , suggested me to go thru this site. Hope you remember him :)
      All your works are really great !! We are trying to decorate our new house with some innovative creations. And your site is a good guide for that.
      Thanks again !

      Delete
    5. Hi Viji the pleasure is all mine. And yeah how can I not remember Shankar... We used to work together.

      Thanks a lot for your generous compliments. Really appreciate it. We got into this only after we started decorating our new house and I can understand how much fun that should be :) Enjoy designing, selecting, buying, shopping and decorating.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Sujatha,

      Thanks a lot for your feedback. Really appreciate it :)

      Cheers.

      Delete
  4. Thats turned out gorgeous!! honestly... I knew someone who was obsessed with making clocks.. and would make the most funky of them.. I so wanted to attempt... so got all the stuff.. and then just couldnt get around it... Figures.. its not something I can do..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia. I have come to love making clocks ! I have ideas running in my mind and I jump at every opportunity to make one. Your comments are always looked forward to and you always make us feel good about what we do here. Our hearty appreciation to for giving us a platform to showcase our work week on week !

      Delete
  5. I just wanna try thiss tooo but where do i get these clocks base

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kala, welcome to Woodooz and thanks for your comment. Where are you from ? Am from Chennai, and most wall clock showroom has these clock mechanism readily available. They come with a one year warranty and hence they have enough stocks available to replace faulty mechanisms in the clocks they sold. Or there is also a wholesale market (Parrys Corner) where they can be bought in bulk. Depending on where you are from, you can check with your nearby clock store.

      Delete
  6. I think this is among the most important information for me. I was very pleased to find this web-site. I wanted to thanks for your time for this nice read!! It's really a great and useful piece of info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. catchy design and perfect finishing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Somu, your video is amazing and very helpful, .
    could you please guide as to from where to buy the clock assemblly.please get back on leo@lastingmemories.in or 9822131360-GOA.
    Appriceite and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natural and I liked the way you had done the background colour combination.
    Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Uma, Thanks a lot for your comment :) Really appreciate it...

      Delete
  10. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. dallas jewelry designer

    ReplyDelete

Know more about us

About Us
Reviews
Media
Our showroom location
Return and refund policy
Review us on Google

Connect with us


Mail us
Subscribe to our newsletter

Our Address :
Woodooz Home Decors,
3/371, First floor,
Metukuppam, Thoraipakkam,
Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR),
Chennai - 600097.
Ph : +91 9884070470
Email : contact@woodooz.com
Created By SoraTemplates & MyBloggerThemes