Hobbies - The detour from the routine called life



In School

Get good grades. Study well. Aim for that elusive first rank. Keep studying. History. Civics. Geography. And the whole thing all over again. While this was the expectation that was set upon me during my early days in school, I was also encouraged to pursue painting as a pastime. I sought every opportunity to spend my spare time with water colors trying to reproduce the painting in the back of Reader’s Digest. This diversion gave me that much needed time off from the nerve-wracking quarterlies, half-yearlies and finals. I was never good at painting (I have hoards of participation certificates, but no prize :P) and  at some point, I realized this is not for me and gave up my aspiration, but the scores of joy it gave me are quite unforgettable.

Water color painting
My 21 year old water color paintings

In college

GRE. TOEFL. MS vs MBA Vs a corporate job. Peer pressure. In the midst of all this, I found a haven in writing – an interest I discovered while writing slam books for my friends in school. I took refuge in poetry and it saw me through all my years in college. It taught me to be my own friend, helped me explore my inner self, and it enabled me to make a verse out of every worse situation. My fervor for writing was never past its best despite the trying outcomes demanded by Engineering. Back in school I had cricket and football to supplement my leisure needs, but in college, I found solace only in poetry. It eventually led me to blogging, blog meets, blog friends and a new social life that I would have otherwise not known. Eventually I gave that up too.

Love poem
Just another poem on Love

And now

In due course, I moved on from the comforts of my bed from where I used to write. And I took my place in the balcony where I now toil with nails and screws, wood and timber, hammers and pliers. The fascination that I have developed, for what I would call, the basic levels of woodworking is no less than the appeal that writing had in it for me. The idea of building something from scratch (though triggered by a totally different reason), fixing something that is broken, or redoing something that has lost its sheen gives me a kick now. Today, this kick  relieves me from the anxieties and stress that are a result of  all the meetings, travel, calls, projects and the deadlines.

Carpentry as hobby
Woodworking as a passion
In all this I realize that as I transitioned from one phase in my life to another, my likes and dislikes changed. And how much ever exciting life is, it is quite easy to get tied up in the routine that it has to offer and a leisure pastime is always required to unshackle oneself from that routine. I have learnt that it didn't matter what hobbies you pursue, but as long as you are focussed, engrossed and excited, it helps entangle you from the tiring, monotonous and sometimes taxing regimen.  

Share your thoughts on this post. Have you ever given up a passion of yours ? How do you break free from your tedious schedule ? What are the favorite activities that you love indulging in ?
Did you like this post ? Enter your E-mail address and join our growing E-mail list




To stay updated about our latest projects and product launches,




11 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post,...i enjoy blogging and reading blogs,,,even if I have few minutes to spare I try to read some of my fav blogs daily,,,,apart from that reading ,trying new recipes,painting ,,all this keeps me busy in my me time,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Notyet, yeah blogging is something I enjoy too... Infact by virtue of blogging about my hobby, i make blogging a hobby too :) It is really nice that you find pleasure in honing your culinary skills and painting. Most certainly a must during trying times :)

      Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  2. Thats such a well written post.. When I was much younger I was always interested in home decor.. So I'd arrange.. and re-arrange the furniture in our little one bedroom apartment... I could spend hours painting... But my teachers didnt think much of it.. Infact I even got into trouble with one.. LOL.. I would spend hours making cards for my mom.. and family... But mom tot I was wasting my time.. (so typical.. LOL)..

    Today.. I would do anything to spend a few hours in front of my easel.. Since the last two years.. I've only had an hour in peace.. and nothing came out of it.. The easel is now a show piece in my home.. :(

    Im still interested in so many thing.. and I want to learn so much and do so much.. but 24 hours isnt enough for me... Plus.. with work and a family.. priorities kind of change.. So the paint brush can wait.. coz I need to water the garden.. types.. LOL.. Life is strange.. Isnt it?

    Nevertheless.. I still enjoy every bit.. and every minute I get to claim to be an aspiring DIYer.. or painter... I do all I can.. LOL.. Thats me...

    I sure hope to see you join the give away.. You dont have to blog about it.. Leave a comment with something you like.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty, thanks a lot ! You sure seem like someone interested in home decor since times immemorial :P All that is showing off and I can see it sprinkled all across Colours Dekor.

      Just like you I wish I had more time to learn and try new things. There is some much that is there that I read about in the blog world and I so wish I can work on each one of them :)

      I do plan to join the giveaway. Will shortly let you know the things that I am loving in Craftsia. Thanks as always for making your presence felt in Woodooz.

      Delete
  3. I GAVE UP THE ROUTINE...YAY!!!

    My hobby was to interiors and over the past few years I have developed a passion for content, perhaps being a communications person led to that. I am now trying to combine both...content around decor. I'm loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dipika, Yay for giving up that routine. You sure don't know how much inspiring that is :)

      You are doing an amazing stuff in Magical Homes and I have been consistently following your posts. The transition from blogger to a custom domain has just been amazing. Look forward to more there :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somu..interests keep changing..but I guess consistency is what will see through whether it is a true passion or not...I am still trying to find my footing...too many interests, not sure which one to chase...I dabble...I have come with this theory that the greatest painters, dancers, singers all should have had their low day where they didn't feel like doing what they love to do..but its the consistency of coming back to it..and honing the skill which make them the greatest in their field and ones like me who don't have that drive end up calling it a hobby! :-(

    btw..that poem is adorable how you played with words..on that note..poetry is also one of those things I tried...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many interests does take the pleasure away I guess. Being consistent and focused for as long as I am into something is all I am gonna ask for. I am reminded of "Kavingyar Vaali" (if you follow tamil movies), and he once said, that he gave up his passion for painting, to pursue his passion for writing. And that if not for that sacrifice, he wouldn't have been where he was.

      You tried poetry too ? Now, where can I read that ? Pass on the link quickly :)

      Delete
  6. What a post!! It took me back in time, thinking of all the different activities I spent time on. Arts and crafts have been my favorite since always. Blogging is the latest on the list. While essay-wtiting in school, I always thought that I eas doing a terrific job but my teachers always found it to be just an average write-up. Good that I have a blog now, where nobody judges me :) I just write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya, I can see how hooked you are onto blogging :) Nice that a blog provides the platform to write without having to worry about someone assessing our writing skills. I enjoy it just as much as I enjoy my DIY work :)

      Delete

Know more about us

About Us
Reviews
Media
Our showroom location
Return and refund policy
Review us on Google

Connect with us


Mail us
Subscribe to our newsletter

Our Address :
Woodooz Home Decors,
3/371, First floor,
Metukuppam, Thoraipakkam,
Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR),
Chennai - 600097.
Ph : +91 9884070470
Email : contact@woodooz.com
Created By SoraTemplates & MyBloggerThemes