Oil pastels - A peek into my art book



When I wanted to professionally learn art to hone my skills, I turned to Mrs.Jebamani Elango who is our friend's mom and also the art teacher in Somu's school. Both uncle and aunty are amazing professional artists, and were kind enough to accommodate my request to help me with improving my skills.
Though it was oil painting (Check out Buddha on Canvas and an Aravind Kolapkar reproduction) that I wanted to particularly learn, they advised me to start with Oil Pastel to better understand the fundamentals. While all the paintings below are my own handiwork, the credit to the originals go to Mr. and Mrs. Elango (Wish I could link them here. But they are not on any social media) whose work I merely reproduced. 
Oil Pastels
Art book and oil pastels
The below scenery apparently is a place in Kodai. This was uncle's work and he gave it to me to start off my learning process. Lot of corrections were suggested and I learnt how to give depth to a painting.

Scenery using oil pastel
A serene place in Kodai captured in Oil Pastel
I followed it up with another scenery of the woods. I learnt more about giving depth to a painting. Again this is a view of one of the many beautiful places in Kodai.

Woods - Oil Pastel
Woods - Oil Pastel

Getting the 3-dimensional effect and the folds in the underlying fabric was a challenge for me and I think I did not do enough justice to the original. Yet, somehow I really like this one. (Painting credit : Robert Sloan)

Tomatoes - Oil Pastel
Tomatoes in Oil Pastel
Another one that uncle wanted me to try. Seemed like simple, but it went through multiple iterations before it was accepted by him.

Ship - Oil Pastel
A ship lost in sea
This is by far my favorite work on Oil Pastel. Peacock, on canvas, photos or papers, are certainly very colorful and beautiful and it is indeed sheer joy to paint them.

Oil Pastel - Peacock painting
A beautiful peacock in all its colorful glory
All these are still in my art book waiting to be displayed. Am looking for ideas. Do I put them in the foyer or somewhere else. Still thinking. What do you think I should do ?

~ Preethi

Now your turn
  • What's your favorite paint medium ?
  • What do you like painting the most ?

If you liked my Oil Pastel works, you will also like my other paintings

Linking in : Colours Dekor
- Somu


To stay updated about our latest projects and product launches,




13 comments:

  1. the peacock is gorgeous! nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia, Thanks a lot ! the peacock is my favorite one too :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely work Preethi..could see that each painting has gradual skills developed :) u r the best learner and gr8 artist..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aparna, thank you so much. I am wanting to do many more art work using oil pastel. Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow,..amazing ,..u can put them in different frames and place them on a wall,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello notyet.. thanks for the suggestion. I was really wondering what to do with them :)

      Delete
  4. The ship and the peacock looks really good... Nice work Preethi :)
    Oil pastels are really fun to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deepa. absolutely, Oil Pastels are definitely great fun to work with. I am still a learner and need to improve this technique. I loved working on the peacock :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. wow!! Preethi.. awesome work!! The peacock and ship is gorgeous.. and so are the rest.. Oil pastels are definitely fun to work with.. By the looks of it.. you are more or less a professional.. I wont show you any of my work.. !! Thats no where compared to your lovely work.. You must continue.. You seem to be a rather natural..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty.. Thanks so much. :) I think u should display your work sometime too... I remember the peacock you had painted in your old house. That was lovely and am sure even your oil pastels would be a treat to our eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. y dont u give intensity to d pictures there ?? they shall look gorgeous if done so...!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. y dont u give intensity to d pictures there ?? they shall look gorgeous if done so...!!

    ReplyDelete

Know more about us

About Us
Reviews
Media
Our showroom location
Return and refund policy
Review us on Google

Connect with us


Mail us
Subscribe to our newsletter

Our Address :
Woodooz Home Decors,
3/371, First floor,
Metukuppam, Thoraipakkam,
Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR),
Chennai - 600097.
Ph : +91 9884070470
Email : contact@woodooz.com
Created By SoraTemplates & MyBloggerThemes